Skip to main content

Choi Pan / Chai kuih - Chinese Chives dumpings

Please also visit my website for complete details Choi Pan



I am re posting this recipe again because it seems I have not add this in my blog. Yesterday, my friends from the bank requested that I made some again for their staff gathering. This is my famous specialty. If you are a Hakka and Hoppo by origin like me, you would have known of this kuih. Somehow, they always complaint they still unable to get the wrapper skin texture even though I have given them the recipe and even seen me hands on making it. It is either too thick or too hard whereas mine is always soft and thin.

This time, they specially requested that I made fillings of salted vegetables ( harm Choy) also from my own recipe.


Ingredients
250g rice flour
3 tbsp tapioca starch
300-400 ml boiling water
2 tbsp oil

Filling : ( as anything you like - Mang Kwang, Gui choi or salted vegetable)


Wrapper Skin (New method- This is the method I innovated /created and am now using)*
Mix rice flour and tapioca starch together. Add hot boiling water, stir till a dough is formed. Dough should not be too sticky. If sticking to the hands then too much water, add more flour immediately..
Cover for about 10 minutes for dough to cool slightly and cooked. Then add oil and knead quickly into a smooth dough.


*Old Method for making wrapper skin (some still use this method and I find it more messy cos the flour will stick to the pot if not careful and wasteful )
Mix rice flour, wheat starch and water into a pot. Keep on stirring whilst cooking till it becomes a dough. Add in oil and knead to a smooth dough. Cut into small dough weighting about 50g each

Wrapping the dumping
1. Shape small dough into half circles.
2. Add 1 portion of filling into each wrapper. Fold from both sides to form a pouch shape.
3. Steam for 15 minutes.

Share on whatsapp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Butter Milk Buns- 奶油包

Butter Milk Buns are very popular in Malaysia and Brunei. When I tried to look for it in Perth, I could find any. I guessed this must be another Malaysian creation. This is my 2nd attempt with the fillings. The first filling recipes which I copied from a US website was totally useless and a failure. This time I used the recipe from a Brunei friend. It was a success. The Bun dough recipe was from Kuala Terengganu, a specialty over there. The Bun was very soft even after it cooled down. The butter milk was very nice as well. Two of the fillings in my buns burst during baking but that was because I did not cover up the dough well and it leaked out. Rest of the Buns were perfect. *makes 11pcs of medium size Buns Gelatinised dough 50g bread flour 35ml hot boiling water 1. Place Bread flour in a mixing bowl. 2. .Add hot boiling water and mix with wooden spoon to form a rough dough.. 3. Cover bowl with cling film and leave dough to cool in the fridge f