Skip to main content

WholeMeal Bread 全麥麵包




I have so many requests to bake whole meal bread from my friends. Yesterday when I went to the cake shop with the intention of buying a new bread knife, I saw in the fridge some wheat bran for sale in 500g packet. It was labeled as wheat flour and I wondered why it had to be kept in the fridge.



I remember I had a recipe for whole meal bread some time back. I decided then to give it a try to surprise my friend. This recipe was adapted from Aunty Yochana's blog with some modifcations.
The Bread was soft although it was quite heavy and dense. It weighted about about 550gm after baked.

Ingredients:
180gm Bread flour
70gm Plain flour
45 gm Wholemeal bran (flour) soak in milk for 20 minutes
120ml Cold milk
1 Egg
27gm Butter
1 tsp Salt

Starter yeast
1 tbsp flour
15g or 1 tbsp Sugar
2 tsp Instant yeast
30ml (2 tbsp) warm water
Mix together and leave aside for 10-15 minutes till foamy.

Method:
1. Put all the ingredients and starter yeast into a mixer bowl except butter. Beat till it forms into an elastic dough. After 10 minutes of beating, add in butter and continue beating till it is well combined.
2. Cover and rest for 1 hour.
3. Roll dough into a ball, divide into 4 pcs , roll into round ball again and let it rest for 10 minutes.
4. Roll each dough into a rectangle and then roll it up like a swiss roll. Place side by side into a pullman tin with cover - about 8 1/2 ” x 4″ .
5. Leave to rest for about an hour or till it reached 3/4 the height of the tin. After 1 hour if the dough doesn’t reach the 3/4 height, continue to let it rise.
6. Bake in a preheated oven 190C for about 30 mins.

Please see more details at my website Simple whole bread

Share on whatsapp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Butter Milk Buns- 奶油包

Butter Milk Buns are very popular in Malaysia and Brunei. When I tried to look for it in Perth, I could find any. I guessed this must be another Malaysian creation. This is my 2nd attempt with the fillings. The first filling recipes which I copied from a US website was totally useless and a failure. This time I used the recipe from a Brunei friend. It was a success. The Bun dough recipe was from Kuala Terengganu, a specialty over there. The Bun was very soft even after it cooled down. The butter milk was very nice as well. Two of the fillings in my buns burst during baking but that was because I did not cover up the dough well and it leaked out. Rest of the Buns were perfect. *makes 11pcs of medium size Buns Gelatinised dough 50g bread flour 35ml hot boiling water 1. Place Bread flour in a mixing bowl. 2. .Add hot boiling water and mix with wooden spoon to form a rough dough.. 3. Cover bowl with cling film and leave dough to cool in the fridge f