Skip to main content

Low Cholesterol Oatmeal bread



Many of my friends asked me why the bread that I baked was soft when compared to theirs which was hard and dense like a stone. I told them the main reason was the recipes that I used was adapted from Asian or Malaysian recipes instead of using western recipes. Asian prefer soft bread whereas westerner prefer hard and dense bread because they eat bread just like we eat rice. Their bread must be hard and dense to be taken with soups to ensure a full meal.

Another friend asked me if I have a recipe for soft oatmeal bread to lower cholesterol. Oats are not an Asian diet and not nice to eat alone. I search the internet and found no recipe and so I decided to create one and try it out using the gelatinized method. The bread turned out to be quite soft even on the 2nd day.

Gelatinized Oatmeal
1/2 cup of quick cook oats
75ml of boiling water
1. Place quick cook oats in a mixing bowl
2. Add hot boiling water and mix with wooden spoon to form a rough paste.
3. cover bowl with cling film and leave to cool in the fridge for at least 1 hour or up to 48hrs*

*I keep it overnight in the fridge cos I find the dough rise better later (proofing) than with 1 hour of cooling.
1 hour gelatinized dough takes a least 1 1/2 - 2 hours to double in size.
Overnight gelatinized dough only takes about 1 hour to double in size.


Main Bread dough
225 gm bread flour
50gm all purpose flour
1tsp yeast
2 tbsp sugar
1/2tsp salt
120ml full cream milk
1 egg

Method
1. Mix all ingredients together and Tear the gelatinized dough into pieces and add to the bowl and knead till smooth and elastic. Keep aside to prove for 1hr or until double in size.
2. Place the bread dough onto a slightly floured surface.
3. Gently knead a few times and then roll and fold like a jolly "B" shape.
4. Place the dough into bread tin, leave to prove for another 2 hours.
5. Bake at pre-heated oven at 180c for 35-40mins.

Share on whatsapp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Butter Milk Buns- 奶油包

Butter Milk Buns are very popular in Malaysia and Brunei. When I tried to look for it in Perth, I could find any. I guessed this must be another Malaysian creation. This is my 2nd attempt with the fillings. The first filling recipes which I copied from a US website was totally useless and a failure. This time I used the recipe from a Brunei friend. It was a success. The Bun dough recipe was from Kuala Terengganu, a specialty over there. The Bun was very soft even after it cooled down. The butter milk was very nice as well. Two of the fillings in my buns burst during baking but that was because I did not cover up the dough well and it leaked out. Rest of the Buns were perfect. *makes 11pcs of medium size Buns Gelatinised dough 50g bread flour 35ml hot boiling water 1. Place Bread flour in a mixing bowl. 2. .Add hot boiling water and mix with wooden spoon to form a rough dough.. 3. Cover bowl with cling film and leave dough to cool in the fridge f