Skip to main content

Grandma oatmeal bread ( manually baked).



I made four loaves of this bread again yesterday for my friends. One friend loved it so much that she requested me to make it for her every third day. I told her see first if I got the mood and time. She said her children just love this bread.
Since I was baking four loaves this time, I did not used the bread machine but instead just bake it manually using my old oven. It is quite a big bread, about 680gm or 1 1/2 lb. Original recipe asked for 3 cups of bread flour but I just used 2 cups bread flour plus 1 cup of plain flour.
This bread is indeed a keeper and healthy.

Ingredients:
• 1 cup water, boiling
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 3 tablespoons honey
• 1 tablespoon condensed milk
• 1/2 cup quick oats
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
• 2 cups bread flour
• 1 cup plain flour
• 2 teaspoons active dry yeast or 1½ tsp instant yeast

Preparation:
1 Put oats in a mixing bowl; pour boiling water over the oats. When oats have cooled but are still a bit warm, add remaining ingredients and mix well. Rest for 15mins.
2. Knead for about 15-20mins - I used the bread machine for this on dough setting
3. let proof again for about 1 hour or till double in size
4. Punch down and let put in a big bake tin 9 x5 x6 and let proof for 2nd round till double in size
5. Bake at preheated oven 175-180'C for 30-40 mins or until golden brown and bread sound hollow when tapped.

For more info please see also my website Grandma oatmeal bread

Share on whatsapp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Butter Milk Buns- 奶油包

Butter Milk Buns are very popular in Malaysia and Brunei. When I tried to look for it in Perth, I could find any. I guessed this must be another Malaysian creation. This is my 2nd attempt with the fillings. The first filling recipes which I copied from a US website was totally useless and a failure. This time I used the recipe from a Brunei friend. It was a success. The Bun dough recipe was from Kuala Terengganu, a specialty over there. The Bun was very soft even after it cooled down. The butter milk was very nice as well. Two of the fillings in my buns burst during baking but that was because I did not cover up the dough well and it leaked out. Rest of the Buns were perfect. *makes 11pcs of medium size Buns Gelatinised dough 50g bread flour 35ml hot boiling water 1. Place Bread flour in a mixing bowl. 2. .Add hot boiling water and mix with wooden spoon to form a rough dough.. 3. Cover bowl with cling film and leave dough to cool in the fridge f