Skip to main content

Caramel Kaya

I saw this recipes in an old microwave cook book and decided to try it out. I used only half the recipe. It did not turn out well and so I don't bother to take picture. I think I over cooked the sugar. I should have reduced half or less the cooking time as I only used half the recipe. I reduced the sugar too much as well and it did not turn out sweet. Kaya should be sweet and not to worry about health because we used it only as a spread. and we eat only a bit each time . In the end, it went to the bin LOL.
On the whole I think this is a good way to make caramel preparation for other recipes.


Caramel preparation (orginal recipe )
60 gm sugar
2½ tbsp water
2 drops of lime juice.
Combine in a 16cm casserole and cook microwave oven on power High for 4½ - 5 minutes ( without cover) to make caramel

Kaya ingredients
50gm sugar
120ml coconut milk
4 eggs
1 tbsp margarine

Method.
1. Combine sugar, coconut and egg. sieve through strainer
2. Combine caramel and egg mixture in 19cm casserole
3. Cook on Power Microwave oven Medium for 3½ minutes (without cover) . In between take out and stir every minute.
4. Then cook on Power Medium for 2 minutes (without cover). In between take out and stir every 20 seconds
5. When done , stir in margarine. Serve on Bread

Please see also my website Caramel kaya



Share on whatsapp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Butter Milk Buns- 奶油包

Butter Milk Buns are very popular in Malaysia and Brunei. When I tried to look for it in Perth, I could find any. I guessed this must be another Malaysian creation. This is my 2nd attempt with the fillings. The first filling recipes which I copied from a US website was totally useless and a failure. This time I used the recipe from a Brunei friend. It was a success. The Bun dough recipe was from Kuala Terengganu, a specialty over there. The Bun was very soft even after it cooled down. The butter milk was very nice as well. Two of the fillings in my buns burst during baking but that was because I did not cover up the dough well and it leaked out. Rest of the Buns were perfect. *makes 11pcs of medium size Buns Gelatinised dough 50g bread flour 35ml hot boiling water 1. Place Bread flour in a mixing bowl. 2. .Add hot boiling water and mix with wooden spoon to form a rough dough.. 3. Cover bowl with cling film and leave dough to cool in the fridge f