Skip to main content

Pak Tong koh2

After the 3rd attempt, I finally managed to succeed in making this Pak Tong Koh recipe. The first attempt I overcooked the the dough mixture and the dough did not rise and it went to the bin. The 2nd attempt the dough did not rise as well, I did not know what went wrong, maybe because of the cold weather or because I added oil to the mixture and it went to the bin as well.
This recipe was adapted from Florence blog with minor modifications. I read this was a better recipe from the comments of the readers.
This time I used half of the recipe and followed exactly the recipe, but after three hours there were some bubbles but not enough. I guessed it was because of the cold weather. I decided then to put the dough batter inside my car and parked the car under the sun to gather more heat. True enough, bubbles were seen over all the surface then.
Some readers suggested adding coconut milk or Pandan juice maybe will try that next time

Ingredients:
(A)
170g sieved rice flour
130 - 150g castor sugar ( I used less than 130 and is still sweet)
360ml water

(B)
3/4 tsp instant yeast
1 tbsp warm water
1 tbsp sugar

















Bubbles after putting the dough mixture in the car parked under the sun for more heat.

Method:
1. Mix (B) and leave aside for 10 minutes for use later
2. Mix (A) together well and cook over slow heat stirring all the time till a little thicken (this process should not be more than 5 minutes otherwise the mixture will have sago pearls forming). The batter should be thick and watery but not dough state, so you can sieve it.
Sieve this mixture into a big mixing bowl and cooled it in a basin of water.
3. Mix (1) and (2) together and blend well. Cover the mixture with glad wrap and prove in a warm place for 1 - 2 hours. When the mixture show signs of bubbles all over the surface then it is ready for steaming.
4. Pour the ready batter into a 19.5cm x 19.5 cm greased pan and steam on high heat for 20 -25 minutes.
5. Cut into serving pieces and rub with cooking oil to give it a glossy appearance when cool.

Note- Do NOT add oil to the flour mixture. Rub oil to the cake only after steam to give it a glossy appearance.

Please visit my website for more details ...Pak Tong Koh made simple

or another almost similar method Pak Tong Koh made easy


Share on whatsapp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Butter Milk Buns- 奶油包

Butter Milk Buns are very popular in Malaysia and Brunei. When I tried to look for it in Perth, I could find any. I guessed this must be another Malaysian creation. This is my 2nd attempt with the fillings. The first filling recipes which I copied from a US website was totally useless and a failure. This time I used the recipe from a Brunei friend. It was a success. The Bun dough recipe was from Kuala Terengganu, a specialty over there. The Bun was very soft even after it cooled down. The butter milk was very nice as well. Two of the fillings in my buns burst during baking but that was because I did not cover up the dough well and it leaked out. Rest of the Buns were perfect. *makes 11pcs of medium size Buns Gelatinised dough 50g bread flour 35ml hot boiling water 1. Place Bread flour in a mixing bowl. 2. .Add hot boiling water and mix with wooden spoon to form a rough dough.. 3. Cover bowl with cling film and leave dough to cool in the fridge f